Some of the biggest global brands have faced serious consequences of security breaches. Besides revenue losses & enforced fines and penalties, reputational damage is a big concern. Cybersecurity and on-premise security are equally relevant for all enterprises, and these security concerns also extend to small businesses, which do not have the resources to handle further investigation and digital forensics following a breach.
In this post, we are discussing more on how smaller companies and startups can do better with regards to data security. Check out data science courses in Bangalore to know more.
- Defense in depth
One of the best ways to address data security issues is by developing an in-depth defense mechanism. Companies, even small businesses, work in a hybrid IT & networking setup, and it makes sense to have multiple layers of defense. A good solution in that context is ‘network segmentation’. For the uninitiated, network segmentation is all about dividing the IT network into individual isolated networks that are not directly connected. In case of a hacking attempt, impact of one network wouldn’t affect others. Dedicated networks are necessary for different departments, depending on size of the organization.
- Managing security for system admin
There are two basic steps that businesses can follow-
- Keep a track of all network assets and inventory. This ensures that anything new is detected and checked for.
- It is also necessary to do regular patching. Every system has to be patched, much like all other devices and servers.
- Managing network security
There are several steps that can be considered for network security –
- Use firewalls, which will stand between network assets and the Internet
- Separate security networks using network segmentation. If required, keep security on a different network altogether.
- Increase the use of VPNs. This just prevents exposure of your data to third-party sites and hackers.
- Develop an alert system and make sure every anomaly is accounted and recorded, regardless of harmless or serious it may seem.
- Scan and test all devices, network assets and servers. Consistent monitoring is the core of competent cybersecurity.
- Managing user security
The final step is user security. Encourage employees to change default user ID and passwords immediately and guide them on creating strong passwords. They need to be held accountable for the information they have access too.
The need for surveillance systems
For on-premise security, invest in advanced surveillance systems, which can prevent security breaches that often happen within the office. Check online now to find more on surveillance systems and consider an update if required. Apply for data science course to learn more.