The 3 Day Diet is one of those diet that are still used although there is no scientific proof to backup the claims issued. It first appeared in 1985 and the promise is: lower cholesterol, more energy and weight loss. Some people will know this diet by the name Cleveland Clinic Diet, although this is not the real name that was initially used and is still widely used today. The principle behind the 3 Day Diet stands in following a strict plan for 3 days and then getting back to eating normally for around 5. After this the cycle is repeated. The problem is that the promises are a little to high. Followers of this weight loss diet will tell you that you can lose up to 10 pounds in those three days. Unfortunately you will basically loss fluids and not fat. Working out is not even mentioned in the 3 Day Diet plan. Keep in mind that you will have to eat exact portions of what you are told. Failure to do this will lead to not losing the promised 10 pounds.
3 Day Diet Plan:
- Day 1:
- Breakfast: tea or black coffee – half of grapefruit (alternatively grapefruit juice) – 1 toast piece and 1 peanut butter tablespoon
- Lunch: half a cup of tuna – 1 toast piece – tea or black coffee
- Dinner: 3 ounces of chicken or any meat that is lean – 1 cup of green beans – 1 apple – 1 cup of carrots and 1 cup of ice cream
- Day 2:
- Breakfast: tea or black coffee – half of a medium sized banana, 1 egg and 1 piece of toast
- Lunch: 8 saltine crackers and 1 cup of tuna or cottage cheese
- Dinner: two beef franks – 1 cup of cabbage or broccoli – half a cup of carrots – half a cup of ice cream – the other half of the medium sized banana
- Day 3:
- Breakfast: tea or black coffee – 5 saltine crackers – 1 ounce of cheddar cheese – 1 apple
- Lunch: tea or black coffee – 1 toast piece – 1 egg (preferably boiled)
- Dinner: 1 cup of carrots – 1 cup of tuna – 1 cup of melon – 1 cup of cauliflower and half a cup of ice cream.
Keep in mind that you also hav to drink 4 cups of noncaloric drinks or water every single day in addition to the food requirements mentioned above.
The 3 Day Diet Promise
It is claimed that the use of the food combination mentioned above will cause your body to burn fat faster. Unfortunately we are not faced with any combination that this works in any way. In fact, if we take a closer look we might end up finding problems with the calorie intake. For instance, if you are a professional bodybuilder you will end up not eating enough if you only eat what is written there. It is also true that all good bodybuilders out there know that losing weight can only be accomplished if you eat right.
Keep in mind that the 3 Day Diet brings in around 1,000 calories every single day. This is a real small quantity. There is a big chance that after we get back to regular eating we will gain weight fast. Also, we are faced with a diet plan that is very restrictive. You can not change what you eat and you will be faced with monotony fast. Even if the 3 Day Diet would work it would still be very difficult to maintain.
3 Day Diet Plan Verdict
The 3 Day Diet Plan should not be followed by any bodybuilder (or person in general) that wants to lose weight. We are talking about starvation causing rapid weight loss here and the weight you will lose will basically be water and not fat. It is great to go on a scale and see that you have 10 pounds in minus. The problem is that the pounds will surely return sooner than you might think.