Milling is the procedure of machining to remove or separate parts of materials by using a rotary cutter. Previously, a milling machine was operated by human power but these days it is managed mainly by Computer Numerical Control or CNC.
A 3 axis CNC Machining center or mill is mainly utilized for producing several types of industrial parts. The different parts are manufactured by using a huge range of cutting tools which are chosen based on the material and type of product being cut.
A 3 Axis CNC Mill Has Three Separate Axes:
- X-Axis: moves from left to the right direction or longitudinally
- Y-Axis: moves from front to back or laterally
- Z-Axis: moves vertically
Introduction To Vertical Machining
Even when vertical machining has been serving the industrial needs for more than 150 years now, it is still one of the trending forms of machining technology. CNC vertical machining center includes an additional axis that serves certain specific types of cutting needs. From boring, drilling, tapping to thread cutting, and many other operations, it is capable of performing several cuttings according to the type of material. In these machining centers, the stuff which will change is kept on the table and the cylindrical cutters are oriented vertically on a spindle axis.
Components Of The Vertical Machining Center
- Trunnion Tables sometimes act as an add-on to a vertical CNC Mill. This table generally adds a 4th and 5th axis to a standard mill by adding an A-axis and C-axis which further rotates around the X-axis and Z-axis respectively.
- Vertical milling center usually comes with a single spindle, CNC control, work table, and automatic tool changer.
- Rotary tables are mostly known as the 4rth axis on mills which vary in size and capacities and might have a horizontal or vertical configuration. The mill is supposed to have a 4th axis card, drive, and CNC control to accept the 4th axis rotary table.
- Tool Changer increases the productivity of a VMC highly by allowing the automatic, computer-controlled selection of tools for a varied range of works starting from fine hole boring to rough cutting or drilling.
- The coolant system is used mainly to keep the cutter tools and the other parts lubricated and cool. The coolant systems of VMCs are mostly prepared by mixing a solution of water and oil or several other types of liquid.
The VMCs have been used for years now and they are mostly used for manufacturing automotive, mold making, castings, and for several other metal cutting works.